Pages

Monday, November 03, 2008

Clarification

I want to apologize for my sweeping comment about Evangelical Republicans. Just because you might be both e. and r., doesn't mean you're a big mean jerk.

I was actually referring to some very specific comments from specific people, as well as some Christian media, that seem to belittle anyone who is a Christian, but not a Republican. I have taken personal offense from these comments, because I AM a Christian, but I do NOT consider myself to be a republican (for the record, I don't consider myself to be a democrat either). I've heard people say that they don't know how someone can call themselves a Christian if they vote for Obama. To me, that's unnecessary and judgmental, and in my last post I meant to make a comparison between the two candidats, to show that, as I said before, neither of them is perfect, and both of them have taken stands that are disagreeable.

Personally, I am totally and completely against abortion. I admit, I've been wanting to vote for Obama, because really, isn't it time for a change? But as the election grows closer, I've felt very convicted about the abortion issue - how can I vote for a president who wants to take measures that will INCREASE the number of babies killed??? I feel that if I vote for Obama, the blood shed in abortions will be on my hands. (though, as my husband pointed out, Bush also claimed to be against abortion, but what has he done about it in 8 years? NOTHING. His focus has been completely on the war in Iraq), which leads me to to...

AT THE SAME TIME - I feel that the war in Iraq has gone on for too long and has been ineffective. I think anger and violence breeds more anger and violence, and I just don't think killing is the right way to stop other people from killing. I know there is a lot more to it than that, but when it comes down to it, I think war is wrong. So, I feel that if I vote for McCain, the blood shed in war will be on my hands.

That leaves me in a dilemma... do I vote for a third party candidate? Is that "throwing my vote away"? I think it is, but it is also somewhat of a "protest vote." Is that effective? Do I not vote at all? Do I disregard the killing issues (since both candidates bear the fault, in my eyes, of being promoters of taking innocent lives), and focus instead on the other issues? That doesn't seem right either.

Anyway, I'm done talking about it. This is where I'm at right now. Again, I apologize to any e.r.'s out there who are not bullying, and know that that comment was not for you.

I have adorable pictures of my kids on Halloween. I'm going to go get us some lunch, and I'll try to post the pics this afternoon.

Happy Voting!
...

1 comment:

  1. i think the majority of the country shares your frustration. Only 30 hours or so and we'll have our answer eh?...i look forward to seeing the pics of the babes!!!

    ReplyDelete