Pages

Thursday, February 02, 2012

My Bread Machine Every-Day-Bread Recipe

I thought I'd post my homemade bread recipe in case anybody is interested in saving money on healthy bread.

I use a bread machine because it cuts down on a LOT of the work. I used to try to make 4 or 8 loaves by hand, then freeze the dough. That worked ok, but when the frozen loaves ran out it would be a while before I had time to make a whole bunch of dough again, then I'd end up buying bread anyway. Once I started using a bread machine I haven't had to buy any bread. I make a loaf about every other day; more on the weekends because everybody is home from school and work and we go through it a lot faster. We are all turning into bread snobs.

This recipe is slightly modified from the whole wheat recipe that came with my machine:

Place in pan in the order listed:

1 egg, with enough water added to equal 1 cup
3 T olive oil
2 T honey
1/2 T salt
1c. bread flour (this is very important, it helps the dough rise)
2 c. white whole wheat flour
{at this point spread the flour around so it's flat-ish and covers all the liquid}
slightly heaping 1/2 T yeast (I use quick-rise yeast)

Put machine on "dough" cycle.
When cycle is done, take dough out of pan and flatten into rectangle (about 8" x 12") with hands or rolling pin onto lightly floured surface (I use bread flour here to give it a little more help with the rising, but that's probably not completely necessary).
Starting at a short end of the rectangle, roll tightly into loaf shape, squishing the ends with each turn to keep air out.
Fold both ends slightly under the loaf and place into greased loaf pan.
Cover with damp towel and let rise until the top of the loaf is about 1-2 inches above the top of the pan.
Bake in oven at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

A couple of notes about my bread making:

*Depending on the room temperature and humidity, rising time can vary. If it's been several hours and seems to be done rising, but still isn't high enough, bake as-is. It won't be as fluffy, but it's still pretty good. There are a lot of factors that affect rising. I find that if the dough is too dry or too wet it doesn't rise well. I don't always have the perfect rise, but I always have good bread!

*If humidity is high (in summer), use a little less water or a little more flour
*If humidity is low (in winter), use a little less flour or a little more water
*When I say "a little" I mean a LITTLE - tiny little. Like a teaspoon.

*Regular whole wheat flour is slightly cheaper, but the white tastes SO DELISH - my opinion, you could definitely use whichever you prefer.

*If you don't want to make your own, but want to save money on good bread, and can pick it up from me, I'll make it for you for $2.00/loaf. That's a pretty good deal, if you ask me.


3 comments:

  1. It looks perfect. It would go great with some strawberry jam. Yumo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me want a break maker! I soooo wish the twins could have regular bread. Sigh. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL...breaD maker :) Long day.

    ReplyDelete