Pages

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Thoughts on Motherhood

So, I had this deep thought yesterday after the kids were in bed. I pictured myself about 10-12 years into the future, the girls are teenagers (they're beautiful and wonderful even as teenagers, of course) . The future-me was looking back at right now, remembering them at ages 2 and 4, dancing around the living room in their tutu's, feeling very nostalgic. I was a reminder to me to cherish this time with them.

I know parents always favor their own kids, but I have never in my life seen anything so precious as those girls frolicking in their tutu's. Lately they've been playing "house." Remember that? They take turns being "the mom", and they pretty much act like me. It's funny. And oh so precious. They'll play for hours. They are the best of friends, and hard as the first year was after Jayna was born, I'll never regret having them so close together.

I know I'm probably preaching to the choir, but there is SO MUCH to do that it's easy to just let the kids play and kind of half pay attention to them while I'm doing other things. Lately Sage has been saying things like "you never want to do (such and such) with me because you're always busy." So, I've been trying to say "yes" whenever they ask me to do something with them, like read a book or play a game. Just to put down whatever I'm doing for a few minutes. Or finish what I'm doing, and skip the next thing to hang out with them. That's all. Just thinking about that lately. :)

1 comment:

  1. I really appreciate your thoughts. sometimes reminders like that are always important....it's always good to enjoy the now! Like for me...not just looking forward to holding this baby, but to remember to pray for it as it grows and to remember to cherish jake every moment while it's still just the 2 of us. Thanks for you inspiration. Love you!

    ReplyDelete