Pages

Thursday, October 04, 2012

The Eubanks: Unplugged: S1: E17

This is me, unplugged:

A15 forgot her lunch this morning, and has no money left on her account. My plan for the day was to lay on the couch and try to recover from this man-cold that has hit me so very hard. Still in my PJ's at 7:47 in the morning, I quickly changed into jeans and a sweatshirt, threw on some shoes, and drove the 1/4 mile to the school to drop off her lunch.

When I arrived and parked in the bus parking lot (buses were already gone, since it was now about 7:54). As I got out of the car I noticed several parents pull up to the curb let their children out, and take off again. These kids were dressed "to the nines" as they say: Hair done, cute outfits - both boys and girls, totally stylin. It's been a long, long time since I've had to be anywhere early in the morning. I have the "luxury" of being able to work in my PJ's for the first 2-5 hours of my day (depending on what's on the day's agenda), and I find it hard to get all dolled up to go to the grocery store.

Taking note of the high schoolers, I quickly realized all the flaws in my appearance and felt extremely frumpy. Gray V-neck fleece sweatshirt, greasy hair from lack of washing (mind you, I try to bathe every day, but I only wash my hair about twice a week, and I'm about due), jeans. I hadn't even looked at myself in a mirror, and was suddenly extremely self-conscious about the unknown in my appearance.

Oh, and let me tell you about my shoes. I have a pair of old white tennis shoes that I use for taking the dogs out, or taking out the trash. They're kind of my "old grubys" that I don't leave the house in very often. I have the laces loosened, and tied off, so they slip on and off easily. One of the laces has broken somewhere in the middle so it's hanging out, but no biggie.

Walking the steps to the building, I looked down and realized how horrendous my shoes really are, and to top it off, there was a little piece of bright blue paper confetti, left over from Saturday's birthday party, trapped between the laces.

Thankfully first hour had already started, so the majority of students were already in class. Mind you, I don't usually leave the house quite so frumpy looking, but wow. Nothing like entering a high school at 8am to make you realize just how ridiculous you really look, and to bring back all those insecure feelings about appearance that you thought you had grown out of.

And just for proof, here is a picture of me NOT looking (too) frumpy. ;) 
{it's well over a year old though... shhh, don't tell}


FYI: I managed to get a shower, including hair-washing AND shaving (you know what I'm talking about, don't you ladies?) during nap time today. I have a hot date tonight, don't want to look ratch (if you don't know, that's the new high-school word for "gross.")

3 comments:

  1. oh, sweet friend. o.k. shoes. nothing can make me feel self conscious like old or dirty shoes . . . why is that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that background. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yep, it's a pic from KR's wedding.

    ReplyDelete