Pages

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Updates

I just realized it's been over 2 weeks since my last post. Makes sense, because I started a new job about 2 weeks ago. I've only been working about 10 or 12 hours a week (so far), but it's thrown me way out of my "normal" routine.

Most of you know, but if you don't, Derrick "finished" his job about a month ago (in other words, he's laid off). Don't worry, everything's ok. Finances are working out beautifully. He's getting unemployment, and I tweaked some of our bills to get them lowered (why didn't I do that before?!?) cut down a bit on our weekly budget, and somehow, we're able to pay all our bills with "plenty" left to meet our needs. When I say "plenty", I don't really mean "plenty," I just mean we have more than enough to meet the bare essentials.

In the initial panic of Derrick's sudden unemployment, I ran out and applied to about 10 different places. And, as fate would have it (just kidding, I don't mean fate), I got hired at the one job I REALLY wanted. I've started working at Sears Portrait Studio. It's a seasonal job, for now, but if things work out and they need the help, it may become permanent. So far I really like it. It's a great opportunity for me to practice photography on a "professional" level, and it also gets me back out into the community again, which is one thing I've really missed since I quit the coffee shop.

So, while unemployment seems like a bad and scary thing, so far it's turned out to be a huge blessing for the entire family. Derrick is loving being home with the family every day, and he's really been great about pitching in and sharing the load with me around the house - which has also been a blessing to me and the kids. The kids love being able to spend more time with him (as do I). The SPS job is a bonus for me. It's something I've been wanting to do for a while, but didn't really have the time. And I didn't expect to have the time for a few more years. And it's extra cash!

And just a quick update on the family: again, most of you know, but incase you don't, we have taken in another baby (about 2 months ago). So we are back to 5 kids. The girls, and then the 7 month old and the 2 month old. They're both boys. Here are a few random pictures of what's been going on in the last couple weeks. The weather has been surprisingly warm and springy for November (until this week, it's rainy and gross now). And, if you're wondering why you don't see any pictures of Alyssa, it's because she doesn't hang out with us much these days. She's 12. I think that says it all.


can you believe how big he's gotten?








I absolutely LOVE this picture. How precious - two total strangers living as brothers.


3 comments:

  1. hey neen!

    what fun to see some pictures of your family!

    and i am so glad for you all - isn't God amazing? He is so good in how He works things out. i love that you get to be a mama - and that now you get a chance to do a bit of something else you love . . .

    we fed ducks (mallards!) the other day, too. :) only we had sweatshirts on . . .

    hugs to you and all your little people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the kid pictures.
    You got lots of love happening there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 7month baby is so big now! look at that hair..awesome!
    and I am so excited about your SPS job. You make me almost miss it...key word for me...almost. Learn as much as you can..your photography is already awesome. THey are lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete