Pages

Monday, January 19, 2009

Hot Water Bottle Drive

I'm having a Hot Water Bottle Drive. I want to collect as many HWB's as I can to send to my brother, Andrew in Nepal. As many of you know, he's a "missionary" in Nepal. Their winters are not AS cold as they are here (in the northern US), generally, but I would guess it's probably in about the 40's at night, and the people there don't have heat in their homes. Andrew, maybe you can post a comment giving better information on the weather there.

Recently I was reading about how some people take HWB's to bed with them so they can turn the heat way down and still stay warm. I asked Andrew if he (or his friends) would be able to use some, and he said YES!

I found a website that sells them for about $6, so I'm asking anyone who wants to, to sponsor a HWB. You can help me in three ways - you can send me $6 (I promise everything will go towards buying HWB's), you can grab that old HWB that you've never really used and has been hiding in the back of your closet for a few years (as long as it's in decent condition) and donate it. The third way you can help is by putting your artistic/crafty skills to work and making a "cozy" or "sweater" to go around a HWB. I know there are a lot of people out there who sew, knit, crochet, etc. The HWB's I plan on buying are 10" x 6" x 2.5".

I have in mind to collect about 15-20 HWB's, but it would be awesome to get even more than that. So far I have collected $ to buy 3 (that's not including my own donation). I would like to send them as soon as possible (before it warms up!) So if you want to participate, please send me an e-mail at jeannine.eubanks@gmail.com and I will send you my address.

P.S. Here is a link on how to make a HWB cozy out of an old wool sweater: Click Here

4 comments:

  1. I watch the weather in Kdu. During December it was getting down to about 30F at night and up in the low to mid 60sF during the day. Right now its running about 10 degrees warmer. They have no heat in the homes there and the electricity is only on for about 8 hours per day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep, that's right dad. thanks jeannine! this is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i missed this post somehow...i'll talk to jake soon..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I love this! Can't knit or crochet (yet)... but my daughter received a knitting kit for Christmas, and someone gave me some crochet needles (and a book) a while back, so send those instructions on over and we'll see what we can do.

    ReplyDelete